PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The Best Cranberry Salad Recipe Just in Time For Thanksgiving!


So, tonight I sat down and went through recipes with my Mother who is 87 years old.  I was the second family kid, you know, the one that comes along after she's practically raised the others!  Well, anyway, she's a young 87, in looks and actions!  We filled a three ring binder, and then she said, "wonder how long it will take to go through the hat box full I still have in the other room"  I decided it was for another night!  But, we had a great time organizing and categorizing all these great recipes.  
Now, I gotta tell ya, I laughed and laughed because on some of the recipes, my brother had drawn pictures, and on one of them, my sister wrote how old her Parents were!  What's really funny is when Mom asked me why I wrote on her recipe!  I pointed out that it wasn't me, I wasn't here yet!  There, were peoples names, and phone numbers, and on a lot of them, she wrote where and why she served this or that recipe!  So, while I have my own cubby full of recipes, I decided that I would share a salad recipe that she and I both have in our collection.  I always like to give credit where credit us due, so, this one goes out to my Aunt Nita. She always looked like a movie star when I was a kid!  A pretty blonde, who always had every hair in place, and looked like she stepped off magazine cover...and still does to this day!  Anyway, she gave this recipe years ago, and when it's time for Turkey and all the fixins, this is one of the first things I write on the "meal list". It's a cranberry salad, and I swear, you could spread it on a chrome bumper, or steel pipe, and it would taste good!  So, girly's get out your favorite dish, glass, crystal or plastic...better if you can see through it because it's a pretty dish, and very appetizing!  
Aunt Nita's cranberry salad
1 small package of cherry jello
1 small package of orange jello
1 can of whole cranberry sauce (ocean spray)
1 can of jellied cranberry sauce (ocean spray)
1 16 ounce can of crushed pineapple (del monte)
1 cup of celery - chopped
1 cup of chopped pecans (optional)
Drain the pineapple juice in a large measuring cup, and then fill the cup with water to total 2 cups of liquid.  Pour juice and water into a sauce pan, and bring to a boil. Dissolve both packages of jello in boiling water, and add both cans of cranberries.  Continue to stir until the cranberries are dissolved in juice.  Add the pineapple, celery, and nuts if desired.  Stir well, and pour into dish and refrigerate over night.

A little tip:  If I'm making this for Thanksgiving, I usually make it on Tuesday night, cover it with plastic wrap, and leave it in the fridge til time to serve.  It's great with the big meal, and, I have yet to meet anyone who didn't love it on a left over turkey sandwich!  I've even made turkey, and swiss cheese, on the griddle with the cranberry salad and it was fabulous!  

Alright Ladies, I hope you love this as much as we do, please let me know...enjoy it!

No comments:

 
Designed by Posh Palm Web Design